A little kid in the United States required emergency medical attention after swallowing roughly 13 times the adult dosage of THC-laced (Tetrahydrocannabinol) candy that his mother had purchased, mistaking it for a pack of Skittles, a popular fruit-flavored candy, according to the New York Post. Catherine Buttereit and her family were eating lunch at Charlotte’s South End area in North Carolina when her kid discovered the bag of candy in a store and expressed a desire to acquire it. Ms Buttereit purchased the candy unaware of its contents, mistaking it for a special edition Skittles pack.

She told The New York Post, “I said, “Of course yeah, that looks cool. Let’s try it.’ He handed me the bag and I handed it to the cashier, she punched it in and we finished up the transaction. I was never asked for an ID. I was never informed of what I was purchasing.”

Soon after eating approximately one-third of the candy, her son began to feel unwell. He complained about pelvic pain, as well as a feeling of freezing in his chest, stomach, and head. When Buttereit offered him water, he said it tasted ‘disgusting,’ prompting her to panic and contact 911. Initially, she feared her son had been poisoned.

Her Son Slept For 17 Hours before Being Released From the Hospital

When Ms Buttereit’s fiance examined the candy package, he discovered that it contained Delta-9 THC, a cannabis variation. Her son slept for 17 hours before being released from the hospital. Despite the fact that Delta-9 THC is classified as a ‘therapeutic’ medicine, the consequences of excessive intake on youngsters are unknown.

The woman accused the retailer of failing to warn her about the candy, saying, “I’m just trying to bring awareness to other parents and caretakers that this extremely new drug product is available now in family-type settings where children are going to be, not only in exclusive vape-type shops anymore.” She added, “I completely accept my negligence as a parent. I made the mistake of not reading the package, and I’m dealing with those consequences. But it was 50-50 negligence. That product was not in its proper storage place.”

Write A Comment